Brief Note on Nelamangala Taluk

Nelamangala taluk comes under bangalore rural district is having three hoblies:

  • Kasaba
  • Tyamagondlu
  • Sompura

and has 22 grama panchayaths.

The main activity of the taluk is manufacture of silk cloths by using power looms and other activities of the taluk are Agarbatti making, Handicraft articles etc. Also different types of small scale and large scale industries are set up in the industrial area.

NELAMANGALA situated on the National highway (27 km from Bangalore ) is found mentioned as `Nelavangala' a headquarters of a Sime in a record dated 1464 A.D. of a Vijayanagara fedatory from Kanasawadi. One Junjanayaka was the officer in charge of this Sime. The place had the name `Bhumadana' according to some tradition, not confirmed by records. Nelmangala appears to have been transferred to the Mysore Rajas along with Thyamagondlu by the Mughals, around 1689 A.D., having acquired it from Bijapur. The place has temples of Rudra- deva, Basaveshwara, Anjaneya (two), Lakshmi Channakeshava (small), Ganesha, Kashi Vishveshwara, Veeranjaneya, Mahalingeshwara, Basavanna, etc.

The Rudradeva temple in Mysore style has two cells, one having Veerabhadra and the other having a Shivalinga, and is renovated. Outside is a small shrine of Candkieshwara and facing the temple is a four-pillared Mantappa called Vasantha Mantapa with a stucco tower. The Lakshmi-Channakeshava temple has one cell having a recently established Kannikaparameshwari. The Kashi Vishveshvara on the tankbund is built in later Vijayanagar style. Nearby is a modern Rama Mandira and its pillars have fine relief sculptures. There is an unpublished inscription dating circa 1743 A.D. On the Sondekoppa road (Two km) in a quiet place amidst rocky blocks is a small temple of Bayalu Ganapati .

There is also a choultry and the place can serve as a good picnic spot. On the Basavanahalli road there is a huge Venkateshwara temple facing east built in later Vijayanagar style. Its Navaranga has pillars in later Vijayanagara style. There is an open Mukhamantappa. Outside the temple is a kalyani in-between the two rocks and it is having stone steps. On its bank is a small deserted shrine having a two handed image. Behind the Venkateshwara there is a small shrine housing Ranganathaswamy in high relief, facing west. The annual Jatra and carfestival are held together during April on the Chitta star for a span of three days. Across the road there are separate temples of Anjaneya, Kannappa and Ganesha, all recent. The place has one mosque. Near bus stand there is one Dargah.