Tipu Sultan was born in Devanahalli in 1750. The birthplace of Tipu Sultan, located very close to the Devanahalli Fort is just a small pillared enclosure with a stone tablet which declares the place to be the birth place of Tipu Sultan. The area around the enclosure is known as Khas Bagh.
A memorial with a small plaque stands 150 m (160 yd) south-west outside of the fort, stating that Tippu Sultan was born here in 1751. It is about six feet (2 m) tall with a pillared enclosure and square top and bears a stone tablet.The area around the enclosure is known as Khas Bagh and has a dried up stone pond, banana, tamarind and mango plantations. An Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) board outside the fort and at Tippu Sultan’s birthplace declares them to be protected monuments (National Heritage).
It was originally built in 1501 by Mallabairegowda, which remained in the hands of his descendants until the mid–eighteenth century. In 1749, the then Dalwai of Mysore, Nanjarajaiah, attacked the fort and occupied it. Later, the fort passed into the hands of Hyder Ali and subsequently Tipu Sultan In 1791, Lord Cornwallis laid siege to the fort and took possession during the Anglo-Mysore War.The birthplace of Tipu Sultan, also known as Tiger of Mysore, is located near to the fort. The fort is situated on the side of National Highway 7, near the Bengaluru International Airport.An Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) board outside the fort and at Tipu Sultan’s birthplace declares them to be protected monuments
Exterior of the fort
The history of Devanahalli dates back to 15th century, when a family of fleeing refugees from Conjeevaram (modern day Kanchi), camped near the foot of Ramaswamibetta, east of Nandi Hills. Their leader RanaBaireGowda was apparently directed in a dream to set up a settlement in this region. He and his MorasuWokkalu family settled in a small village, Ahuti, which was later known as Avati. His son MallaBaireGowda founded Devanahalli, Chikka-ballapura and Dodda-ballapura.Kempegowda, the founder of Bangalore city is also from MorasuWokkalu family.
Devanahalli was part of Gangawadi and later came under the rule of Rashatrakutas, Nolamba, Pallavas, Cholas, Hoysalas and the Vijayanagara rulers. During the time of Vijayanagra rule, MallaBaire constructed the initial mud fort in 1501 AD with the consent of Devaraya at Devanadoddi, the previous name of Devanahalli. In 1747 AD, the fort passed into the hands of the Wodeyars of Mysore under the command of Nanja Raja. It was conquered many times from the Marathas and later came under the control of Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan.
Tipu also renamed it as Yousafabad (the abode of Yousuf, the finest man) which never got popular. The fort finally fell into the British, under Lord Cornwallis in 1791, during the Mysore War.
Fort is spread over an area of 20 acres (8 ha). The roughly oval east oriented fortification veneered with dressed masonry has as many as 12 semi-circular bastions at regular intervals. A spacious battlement is provided towards the inner side of the fortification. The fort has entrances decorated with cut plasterwork at the east and west. The entrances are quite small, comfortable enough for the horses of yore.The bastions are provided with gun points built with lime and brick.The house in which Tipu and Hyder Ali lived also exists till date.The house of DewanPurnaiah, a high-ranking official in Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan’s court, is also located inside the fort.
How to Reach:
14km from Kempegowda International Airport.
40Km from Bangalore City railway station,
Tipu Sultan Birth place Devanhalli is about 40km from kempegowda bus station, Bangaluru.