The elected members as determined under Section 160
- The members of the House of People and the members of the State Legislative Assembly representing a part or whole of the district whose constituencies lie within the district
- The members of the Council of State and the members of the State Legislative Council who are registered as electors within the district; and the Adyakshas of Taluk Panchayats in the district.
The Adhyaksha shall be the executive head of the Zilla Panchayat and shall
- Convene, preside at and conduct meetings of the Zilla Panchayat;
- Discharge all duties imposed and exercise all the powers conferred on him by or under this Act of perform such functions entrusted to him by the Government from time to time.
- Exercise overall supervision over the financial and executive administration of the Zilla Panchayat and place before the Zilla Panchayat all questions connected therewith which shall appear to him to require his orders and for this purpose may call for records of the Zilla Panchayat; and Have power to accord sanction up to a total sum of rupees one lakh in a year for the purpose of providing immediate relief to those who are affected by natural calamities in the district.
The Upadhyaksha of the Zilla Panchayat shall
- exercise the powers and perform the functions of the Adhyaksha when he is absent on leave or incapacitated from functioning or when the office of Adhyaksha is vacant; and
- in the absence of the Adhyaksha or when the office of the Adhyaksha is vacant, preside over the meeting of the Zilla Panchayat.
The Zilla Panchayat has the following Standing Committees, namely: –
- General Standing Committee
- Finance, Audit and Planning Committee
- Social Justice Committee;
- Educational and Health Committee;
- Agricultural and Industries Committee.
General Standing Committee
The Upadhyaksha shall be the ex officio member and Chairman of the committee.This committee shall perform functions relating to the establishment matters and functions relating to communications, buildings, rural housing, village extensions, relief against the natural calamities and allied matters and all miscellaneous residuary matters.
Finance, Audit and Planning Committee
The Adhyaksha shall be the ex officio member and Chairman of this committee. This committee shall perform :-
- the functions of finances of the Zilla Panchayat framing of budgets, scrutinizing proposals for increase of revenue, examination of receipts and expenditure statements, consideration of all proposals affecting the finances of the Zilla Panchayat and general supervisions of the revenue and expenditure of the Zilla Panchayat.
- The Plan priorities, allocation of outlays to developments, horizontal and vertical linkages, implementation of guidelines issued by the Government, regular review of planned programmes, evaluation of important programmes and small saving schemes.
Social Justice Committee
This Standing committee shall elect the Chairman from among their members.This committee shall perform the functions relating to : –
- promotion of educational, economic, social, cultural and other interest of the Schedule Caste and Schedule Tribes and Backward Classes;
- protecting them from social injustice and all other forms exploitation.
- amelioration of the Schedule Caste and Schedule Tribes and Backward Classes.
- securing social justice to the Schedule Caste and Schedule Tribes, women and other weaker sections of the society.
Education and Health Committee
This Standing committee shall elect the Chairman from among their members.This committee shall perform the following functions: –
- be in-charge of all Educational activities of the Zilla Panchayat.
- undertake the planning of education in the district within the framework of the national policy and the national and State plans;
- survey and evaluate the educational activities of the Zilla Panchayat.
- perform such other duties pertaining to education, adult literacy and cultural activities as the Zilla Panchayat may assign to it;
- health services, hospitals, water supply, family welfare and other allied matters.
Agriculture and Industry Committee
This Standing committee shall elect the Chairman from among their members. This committee shall perform the following functions: –
- agricultural production, animal husbandry, co-operation, contour bunding and reclamation;
- village and cottage industries;
- promotion of industrial development of the district.